Python on the desktop

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Sun Jan 6 11:31:25 EST 2002

Sorry, old thread, probably flogged to death but I'm not getting to
collect my news very often due to other busy-ness.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:30:47 GMT, "dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net>
wrote:

:why does everyone who is new to python, especially those with an "industrial
:strength C++ application development background" feel the need to (a) make
:quick observations, and (b) use the collective "we" in these observations?
:I agree with Tim that the goal of a language is "to _be_ useful where it
:_can_ be useful."  For me, Python is useful almost everywhere -- more useful
:than C++ at any rate :-)
:
:Perhaps, if shipping compiled Python applications in a commercil setting is
:not Python's strongest suit, it is time to change the paradigm that the user
:must have the source hidden from them.

I think it's important to realize that the majority of programming is
not programming done to produce "shrinkwrap applications".  Most
software is developed for internal use on scales from small to huge,
with deployments ranging from a single user to vast enterprises.  Not
much of this code has "source hidden" at the top of its' list.  Not
much of it has "absolute maximum performance", either. Issues such as
programmer productivity and supportability probably come much higher.

Mats Wichmann