JavaScript considered harmful

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 20:31:21 EST 2002

Le 08/01/02 ? 22:00, Michael P. Soulier écrivit:
> On 8 Jan 2002 22:24:53 +0100, Chris Liechti <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote:
> > what i do not like is HTML mail with external links... this way the 1 pixel
> > (or larger) image can be used to identify you by email address. (and get
> > your mail on the "verified" lists)
> >
> > a filtering proxy does help agains some of the collectors but there are
> > just too many out there.
> >
> > any real solutions availble?
>
> HTML mail is a problem. I don't support it, and neither does my email client.
> [...] I'll stick with Mutt.

So will I. And my mutt can read HTML mail just fine in case somebody
inexperienced uses such a waste of bandwidth:

Put this into your .muttrc:

    # view annoying html mail inline
    auto_view text/html
    # if plain text and html prefer plain text
    alternative_order text/plain text/enriched text/html

and this into your .mailcap (enable lynx or w3m depending on installed
text-mode browser; I have w3m, it does tables, too):

    #text/html; /usr/bin/lynx -force_html %s; needsterminal
    #text/html; /usr/bin/lynx -dump -force_html %s; copiousoutput
    text/html;      w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage