Mono and Python

Don Tuttle tuttledon at mailandnews.com
Tue Jan 1 22:23:24 EST 2002

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/Dndotnet/ht
ml/deicazainterview.asp?frame=true

Interesting interview.  I'm also very interested in what Mark has to say
about Python and .NET and Mono.  His early progress report
http://www.activestate.com/Initiatives/NET/Python_whitepaper.doc was not
encouraging.  And the fact that ActiveState has backed away from Python is
even more ominous.

It's clear that Miguel de Icaza believes .NET solves important development
issues. ("We are doing this for selfish reasons: we want a better way of
developing Linux and Unix applications ourselves and we see the CLI as such
a thing.") That seems to be born out by the better than expected support the
Mono project is receiving from developers outside his company.

Sure would make me feel better to hear from the Python-dev community that
Python can and will be a player in this new ball game.  Because, quite
frankly, the silence of the past few months as been deafening.

Don

news:3C3251E0.612B0401 at earthlink.net...