Rue the day...

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 13:09:47 EST 2002

message news:<mailman.1012274265.29834.python-list at python.org>...

> 1. How you keep defending the Python language over and over again.
> Don't understand me wrong, Python is a VERY good language and we are
> using it for years now, like a lot of you. But each time some guy asks
> here a question like 'Should i use Python of Perl' or 'Python or C for
> a real world application' evrybody here starts here to defend Python.
> IMHO this is useless, since allready the question is stupid... The
> language you want to choose depends on a lot of items and not only
> wether you have to use brackets of indents to structure code block, or
> to have to declare variables or not. Even the developmentspeed issues
> like you see here often depends on a lot of things, we have as an
> example 2 C goeroes in house that develop at the speed of other python
> applications, only the applications will be different and THAT is the
> reason that some application is written in C and others in Python...
> So if someone asks if he should use Python , the only real answer
> could be 'Have a look at it, try it and decide... you're a big boy'.

True, but that's not what people are really asking when they post those
questions.  They want a feature comparison.  Plus you have to remember that
Python is still one of the lesser used languages and people in a minority
group tend to be somewhat defensive about their position.  To test this
point, try staring at a goth girl in a nightclub sometime and see what
happens.

> 2. How you keep answerring the same questions over and over again.
> Style 'WIch IDE to use to develop with python' or worse 'Does python
> have a compiler'. If you think this is just a small part of the
> question here, take google and do a search on IDE or compiler on this
> group.

These questions are asked a lot, but then again, given the pace of
open-source software development and the beta state of most of the software
in these categories, the answer may change in a relatively short period of
time, so they remain valid questions.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan