locale on cygwin

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Fri Jan 25 00:22:02 EST 2002

Jason Tishler probably knows the answer to this off the top of his head,
but ...

I'm having problems getting 'locale' to work with Python under cygwin.

On my Win2k box with standard Python 2.1.1 my session looks like;

PythonWin 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32. Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (MarkH at ActiveState.com)
- see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
>>> import locale
>>> locale.getdefaultlocale()
('en_AU', 'cp1252')
>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
'English_Australia.1252'

But on the same machine with Cygwin python I get;

Python 2.2 (#1, Dec 31 2001, 15:21:18)
[GCC 2.95.3-5 (cygwin special)] on cygwin
>>> import locale
>>> locale.getdefaultlocale()
(None, None)
>>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
'C'

I presume this means that the _locale module is not present on Cygwin, or
compiled in with Python. Is there any particular reason why?

I've searched the archives of this newsgroup and the Cygwin mailing list
and I'm fairly sure this hasn't come up before. If this is a duplicate
then please accept my apologies in advance.

Regards,
Andy
--
Contents free posts a speciality