Hooks, aspect-oriented programming, and design by contract

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Jan 26 03:50:23 EST 2002

James_Althoff at i2.com wrote:

> [Alex Martelli]
>>In Smalltalk, metaclasses are instances of Metaclass.  Each metaclass
>>is the metaclass of a single class.
>
> Although the latter is by convention and not a restriction of the
> language.

Thanks for clarifying this -- I thought it was a language rule, not just
a convention (shows you how long it is since I last dabbed in ST and
how superficial was my dabbling, I guess).  Now I'm trying to figure
out in what cases I could violate the convention, how, and with what
effects (can you suggest a URL -- this seems OT here in c.l.p)...

Alex