redhat 7.1 linux upgrade of Python 1.52 to 2.0

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Thu Jan 17 06:33:28 EST 2002

Yes, I upgraded to 2.1.x on my RH 7.1 system.  Actually, I installed
2.1 beside 1.5.2, which is what I would suggest because removing 1.5.2
will possibly break some of your Redhat scripts.  AFAIK, that's why
Redhat has stuck with 1.5.2 for this long.

rpm -ivh python-2.2-1.i386.rpm

If you still get failed dependencies, you might try installing the
latest Redhat updates.  If you've already done that, you may have to
install python from source.

> this tells me for one GCC_3.0 is needed. The current interpreter  shows
> 2.96 GCC.
> could someone tell me if there is a relatively stable version of
> python2.0 that i can download using 2.96 GCC. I need
> to use python 2.x for unicode and chinese native to unicode conversion

Not sure, but I'll bet that this rpm was built on a Redhat 7.2 system
(or perhaps not even a RH system).  If you can't find another rpm,
you should be able to compile python2.2 yourself...just be sure you
don't overwrite 1.5.2.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Life is a healthy respect for mother nature laced with greed.