Distributing Python, slimer?

Sébastien SAUVAGE nospam at sebsauvage.net
Wed Jan 9 04:34:51 EST 2002

jpt.d at rogers.com (Jeffrey Drake) wrote in news:3c3be0f4.29628343 at nntp:

> I am considering using python for developing the second version of a
> program I made called Q3FLauncher. ( http://members.rogers.com/jpt.d )
>
> My main problem is that I don't want the user to have to download 6mb
> for something they probably won't actually develop with. Py2EXE is an
> even worse option (from what I understand of how it works) as it would
> need to transfer a smaller (1/2?) transfer but have to do it more
> often.

2 solutions. Either:

a) download the whole Python distribution, and next download updates of the
.py script.

or
b) you create a standalone executable containing the compiled script and
Python DLL.  They download the new EXE each time.

I successfuly created standalone EXE with the wonderful 'Installer' from
McMillan. Works beautifully, and it's free.
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

--
Sébastien SAUVAGE
sebsauvage at sebsauvage dot net