* separated values

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 12:37:53 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:43:40 +0300
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:58:54AM -0800, Mark McEahern wrote:
> > Are you saying you want to tailor the Python
> > distribution to suit your specific needs?
>
>    Of course I want! But even more I want to make the distribution
slimmer,
> and allow people to download and install huge number of additional
modules.

It might make more sense to break the library up into related chunks:
base library (Threading, Exceptions, Types, UserDict, String, etc)
communications library (Sockets, RPC, etc)
text processing (XML, ConfigParser, CSV, etc)
numberics (Numeric, etc)
image processing (PIL, PIDDLE, etc)
gui (wxPython, Tkinter, etc)
contributed (?)

Then have all of these available at the same location to make finding and
downloading easier.  Obviously a big problem would be sorting out the
interdependencies, but it would make it simpler to create a tailored Python
installation.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer