IID and CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 15 17:25:39 EST 2002

"David Bolen" <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in message
news:un0zfqnti.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com...
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:
>
> > Besides stopping the service, that is. The customer would rather reboot
than
> > stop the service, I can't for the life of me remember why now.
>
> Am I correct in guessing that you're invoking these objects from an
> ASP page right?  If so, how about defining those pages (at least
> during development) in IIS as being high security.  I think that's the
> setting (don't have IIS in front of me) - which means they run as out
> of process servers themselves.  So while your objects will be in-proc,
> they'll be in-proc in an out-of-proc environment, if you see what I
> mean.

Yes, ASP is the invoking COM client. I have already suggested that they put
the page inside an application, which they balked at because they would have
to set permissions. So it remains to be seen whether high-security pages
will appeal to them, but it's something I hadn't considered, so many thanks.

> I'm not sure how long IIS leaves an out-of-process running once a page
> is accessed (there is some limit), but I am pretty sure that you can
> change the security definition on the fly and by jumping between high
> and low should be able to terminate any live out of process servers.

OK, I'll see whether it's acceptable.

> This changes if you've got MTS involved in the system, since it has
> it's own caching and management aspects which I'm not that familiar with.

Fortunately MTS hasn't entered into the equation yet. I'm hoping it won't
:-)

Thanks for your response.

regards
 Steve