Ruby Impressions

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Sun Jan 13 22:52:28 EST 2002

"Jürgen A. Erhard" <jae at jerhard.org> writes:
> And this
> chimes with my early impression of Ruby, in that I feel it's a lot
> closer to Perl than to Python.

If I were a Perl user, I'd certainly be looking at Ruby rather than
waiting for Perl 6 to get designed and implemented.  Judging from the
current articles about it, I don't see in what sense Perl 6 is going
to be simpler or clearer than Perl 5, and it depends on the Parrot VM,
whose ultimate fate is still uncertain at this point.  I'm cautiously
hopeful about Parrot, but get a little less so as time passes and the
developers work on parts that are cool rather than immediately useful,
and as they fall prey to premature optimization.

--amk                                                  (www.amk.ca)
Actors... I don't like actors. It's a profession based on lies and
disrespect. Pretending to be what you are not.
    -- The emperor Augustus in SANDMAN #30: "August"