Pre-PEP process proposal (was PEP for fp.type())

Cromwell, Jeremy jcromwell at ciena.com
Wed Jan 16 13:45:35 EST 2002

With the ability in Python 2.2 to inherit from the built-in types, it looks
like the best way to get new functionality in built-in types is to follow
these steps:

1) Write an implementation of this idea by inheriting from the built-in
type.  This should be done completely in Python.  This does not need
complete functionality and should include a big TO-DO list.
2) Add it to the Vaults of Parnassus (http://www.vex.net/parnassus/) as well
as your homepage or sourceforge.  Be sure to give it a good name. ("xfile"
is just waiting for the right implementation to attach itself to.)  Be sure
to have a prominent link for feedback.
3) Announce it here and at Python-Announce.  With each announcement, ask for
input.
4) Add features and fixes as requested.  Continue to update.
5) Incorporate all useful functionality of the modules you'd like to
replace, with backwards compatibility in mind.
6) Once you think it's ready, promote it for inclusion in the core.  (Even
if it isn't, you still have a module that's very useful to you and available
to the masses.)
7) Once it's in the core, promote it (by PEP) for replacement for the
built-in type.  (Even if it isn't, you still have a module that's very
useful to you and in the hands of the masses.)

Unfortunately, PEP writing doesn't come in until step 7.  However, you
personally gain at most steps.

Of course, don't forget:
0) See if anyone's already done this.  See which step they are on.  Help
them move to the next step.

My purpose in writing this is that it seems like these PEP proposals come
along quite often and this seems to be the general consensus.  However, many
of us want to be encouraging to the development (and the developer) but
realistic to the chances of these changes being made.
-Jeremy Cromwell