process web page with cookie

bernie bernie at 3captus.com
Mon Jan 21 23:51:09 EST 2002

Hi Cyclotron,

The following code was posted for a similar question.  All you needed
to change is _cookie and _url.

Basically, you needed urllib.FancyURLopener.  This piece code was
before urllib2 was born.  Now with urllib2 you can use build_opener(),
install_opener() and Request() to do the job in a more OO way.  But
I am too lazy to write an example.

#!/usr/bin/env python

import urllib

class AppURLopener( urllib.FancyURLopener):
    def __init__( self, cookie=None, *args):
        apply( urllib.FancyURLopener.__init__, (self,) + args)
        if cookie:
            self.addheader( "Cookie", cookie)

_cookie = "ASPSESSIONIDGGGQGOSO=EEKFJBBCFBDCAFJGPDKMLJDO"
_url =
"http://boards.gamers.com/messages/overview.asp?name=panther_xl&page=2"

urllib._urlopener = AppURLopener( _cookie)
a = urllib.urlopen( _url)
print a.read()