algorithms and ADTs (was Re: efficient idiomatic queue?)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 23:43:49 EST 2002

In article <a22vts$5jg$1 at slb4.atl.mindspring.net>,
Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>>Um, what's an ADT?
>
>"abstract data type"
>
>It's a data structure with associated methods (wasn't called
>class nor object 20+ years ago) which can be used unchanged
>in many different codes.
>
>ADTS include lists, dicts, binary trees, priority queues, stack,
>quad and oct trees.  Upon reflection, I seem to associate an
>ADT with storage containers.

Oh, right.  I knew that, I just didn't know that I knew that.  ;-)
(More precisely, I didn't remember that particular acronym.)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker