Book Royalties <OT>

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jan 24 10:36:59 EST 2002

In article <yu99sn8wcp8i.fsf at europa.research.att.com>, Andrew Koenig wrote:

> Frederick> Wrong. Nearly all the actual work that goes into the
> Frederick> production of a book is outsourced. Typesetting is done in
> Frederick> the Far East or India; editing and indexing are done by
> Frederick> freelancers, usually in the US.
>
> Sometimes, perhaps, but not always.
>
> Barbara and I did the typesetting ourselves for ``Ruminations on C++''
> and ``Accelerated C++,'' sending PostScript files to the publisher.
> I did the typesetting for ``C Traps and Pitfalls,'' sending physical
> camera-ready pages to the publisher -- PostScript didn't exist in 1988.

Postscript level 1 was released in 1984.  It was adopted by
Apple a year or two later.  I remember using Postscript
printers on Unix systems (VAX 11/780 and Sun 3 series) in 1988.

Perhaps publishers weren't accepting Postscript in '88 but it
existed and was in fairly wide usage elsewhere.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!
                                  at               TAILFINS!!... click...