Mono and Python

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 2 10:58:43 EST 2002

Hi,

If I recall correctly, in some previous posts to the newsgroup on the topic,
Mark Hammond suggested that a bridgining approach (*) more like
JPE for java or the current win32com would be a simpler, better
straregy for python and .net interoperability. I don't remember
how much this was related to the bad performance experience
of the Python.NET prototype.

OTOH if someone longs for Python.NET it does not need
to start from scratch <wink>, my impression with some skimming
over the .net docs, is that you can more or less port
the Jython Java codebase to C# and CLR/.net. After you have
understood how to concretely exploit some
apparent/inutive mappings, e.g. AppDomain=ClassLoader
and worked around the possible differences, it is probably more
grunt work than rocket science.

If MS has not screwed up something badly performance-wise
and there is no weight mismatch (I mean something relatively
 lightweight on Java that has a heavy weight counterpart)
the initial result should be acceptable. And then you
can only improve ;).

Anyway both the JVM and the CLR as they are
do not offer a perfect match for python very dynamic
and very late binding semantics.

No, definetely I'm not volunteering for doing this.

regards.

PS (some-conspiracy-theory-just-for-fun):
the paranoid worst-case scenario with (*) is in case in the long run
MS make "hard" for "non-selected parties" to deploy/
develop non-CLR/managed code (i.e. native code) for
its OSes. It could even say that it is for security reasons.
Then you *need* Python.NET.

Don Tuttle <tuttledon at mailandnews.com> wrote in message
M2vY7.30030$mp3.18276900 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/Dndotnet/ht