A Python IDE idea - looking for input

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Jan 4 05:39:26 EST 2002

"Gerhard Häring" <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> wrote in message
> was by far worse than Python's. Also the language Ocaml itself doesn't
> offer many advantages for everyday programming IMHO. Harcore FP'lers
> will disagree, of course.

I'm a "soft-core" FP'er and I'm more fascinated by Haskell and Erlang
than by any ML, and O'CaML in particular.  O'Caml looks like a highly
multi-paradigm language with lots of pieces stuck to it and excellent
implementation performance.  But, do I really want ANOTHER C++...???

> <OT rant>
> If you want to be disillusioned about the performance increasements of
> native code, just look at what compiled Java offers nowadays. If you're
> lucky, it's even faster that Hotspot in JDK 1.4, with the only
> difference that you paid 1000s of $ ;-)

I get native-compiled Java from gcc 3.* and I haven't paid a PENNY for
it.  Haven't done any benchmarking, either (not even tried JDK 1.4 yet,
though I will since I head that introspection in particular is speedier
enough to make a real difference with Jython).

Alex