New Time format

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 24 15:23:43 EST 2002

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> writes:

> There is an ISO standard date format, the order of which makes sense
> in most regions: year-month-day hour:minutes:seconds

I'm not sure I understand the problem you seem to have with
time.strftime.

> style = 0 => "hh:mm:ss"

time.strftime("%H:%M:%S", thetime)
time.strftime("%T", thetime)

> style = 1 => "yyyy-mm-dd"               (all numeric)

time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d", thetime)

> style = 2 => "yyyy-mmm-dd"              (month localised TLA)

time.strftime("%Y-%b-%S", thetime)

> style = 3 => "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss"      (all numeric)

time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S", thetime)

> style = 4 => "yyyy-mmm-dd hh:mm:ss"     (month localised TLA)

time.strftime("%Y-%b-%d %H:%M:%S", thetime)

> What I'm after is something I can stick in code when I need a
> date/time without having to check the docs for the correct formatting
> sequence.

I'd question that people can memorize the meaning of a number in 0..4
to identitify a format much better than they can memoryize strftime
format specifiers. I'm pretty sure that people can *read*

time.strftime("%Y-%m-%d", time.localtime(time.time()))

better than they can read

time.ISOtime(1)

Regards,
Martin