code.InteractiveConsole in a newly created xterm

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 30 05:39:45 EST 2002

Simon Budig <Simon.Budig at unix-ag.org> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> The following works great:
>
> import code
> def python_inter():
>         ip = code.InteractiveConsole ()
>         ip.interact ("Python interactive Console")
>
> However, I want to have this in a freshly created xterm window and I have
> not been able to figure this out. I guess I somehow have to use
> pseudo terminals and the xterm "-S" option. Something like (pseudocode):
>
> import code,spam
> def python_inter():
>         xterm = spam.create_xterm_instance ()
>         ic = code.InteractiveConsole ()
>         ic.connect_to_xterm (xterm)
>         ic.interact ("Python interactive Console")
>         xterm.close ()
>
> Is this possible? For as much Unix-like platforms as possible?

Probably.  You almost certainly need to write your own version of
InteractiveConsole, or maybe just subclass it and override
raw_input().

I don't have access to X here, so you'll have to fiddle the details
yourself...

Cheers,
M.
PS: you might be able to get pyrepl working on an arbitrary file
    descriptor more easily:
        http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/pyrepl.html

--
  ARTHUR:  Why should he want to know where his towel is?
    FORD:  Everybody should know where his towel is.