[Python 2.2] Properties, a simple module for playing

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at geocities.com
Wed Jan 30 18:40:11 EST 2002

it possible to re-use large quantities of property-relevant code.  I've
hacked together a fairly generic set of property classes and supporting
objects into a module with which people can play.

http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/programming/basicproperty.py

Brief Introduction:
	Properties become very useful when you're creating frameworks that are
using introspection at run-time to create GUI or similar interfaces.
It's possible to use the built-in Python 2.2 properties as-is, but you
then need to write (up to 3) methods for each property, as that class
assumes you're using properties to spell "method-mediated attribute access".
	In my code, however, what I normally need is a class hiearchy of property
types, where each property of the given type is basically the same, and
objects are just collections of properties with a very minimal bit of
custom processing.  In this environment, each property needs certain
support mechanisms (coercian, type-checking).
generic property object from which to derive the various property types
I need.  What this module does is allow you to specify a class like so:

 >>> class X(object):
... 	b = basicproperty.IntegerProperty( 'b',"A demonstration integer
property", )
... 	c = basicproperty.StringProperty( 'c', "A string property" )
... 	d = basicproperty.IntegerProperty( 'd',"A demonstration integer
property constrained to range 0 <= x <= 10", bounds =
[basicproperty.RangeBoundary(0,10),] )
 >>> a = X()
 >>> a.b = 3
 >>> a.b
3
 >>> a.c = 4
 >>> a.c
'4'
 >>> a.d = 20
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "p:\basicproperty.py", line 21, in setValue
     self.check ( client, value )
   File "p:\basicproperty.py", line 36, in check
     for boundary in self.bounds:
   File "p:\basicproperty.py", line 59, in __call__
     raise ValueError ("""Property value was too low, minimum is %s,
value was %s"""%(self.minimum, value))
ValueError: Property value was too high, maximum is 10, value was 20
 >>> a.d = 10
 >>> a.d = '10'
 >>> a.d
10

In this case, my particular IntegerProperty class provides coercian,
type checking, optional bounds checking, and storage/retrieval in the
object's __dict__.  The current mechanism allows for specifying bounds
such as "instance of a class" (which is how IntProperty/StringProperty
define themselves), so you could as easily create a property which must
be an instance of X:

	e = basicproperty.BasicProperty( 'e', 'X property', bounds =
[basicproperty.TypeBoundary(X)])

What's missing (it was pointed out the first time I posted about
properties) is compound data types (lists, dictionaries) which would
support both assigning to the list and doing classic slicing.  That
shouldn't be particularly tricky, you could create a derivative of
list/dict that has assignment coercian/constraints and use that as the
value stored in the instance by the property.  I don't have time to get
that done now, so I'll follow the "release early and often" creed and
let others play with the basic properties now.

http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/programming/basicproperty.py

Have fun all,
Mike
   Mike C. Fletcher