not in

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Jan 21 11:36:14 EST 2002

"rihad" <rihad at mail.ru> wrote in message
news:etfo4u8d8d1tv66shloq3d5j57je1kg3h7 at 4ax.com...
> Hmm, alert, sarcasm detected :) While `not a and not b' vs. `not (a or
> b)' is an application of language-neutral DeMorgan theorem, and `2 + 3
> == 5' vs '3 + 2 == 5' have this icky commutative property :), `not in'
> and `is not' are really keywords on their own. Please don't get me

Sure, "not in" is not a keyword -- it's the combination of two
keywords (into one operator), as is easy enough to check by
counting.  "is not" counts out similarly.  So?  Why should
Python invent new single-keywords, when pair of keywords can
combine readably and efficiently?  I keep missing your point.

Alex