Simulating call of instance like a list or tuple

Michael Robin me at mikerobin.com
Mon Jan 14 13:11:13 EST 2002

Brett wrote:
>It seems everyone is thinking that I want __repr__ or __str__, which
is in
>the right  vein, but not quite it.  I want the same functionality,
but I
>want to be able to return something other than a string

It's hard to say from his example, but it seems like he
knows what repr/str do, but he wants to *return* something else,
not just alter its printable representation.
I think maybe he wondering if there's a special method like __value__:

class Foo:
    def __init__(self, obj):
        self.obj = [obj]
    def __value__(self): # warning: not Python
        # Be careful not to return a new list here each time
        #  unless you really mean it and don't want to get mutated
        return self.obj

>>>f = Foo(42)
>>>f.append('hi')
[42, hi]

or something like that, where an instance can return something
other than "self" when it is referenced. (This is like ST's become:,
but done per-reference.)

Other examples:

class MyCachedObject:
    def __init__(self, obj=None):
        self._obj = obj
    def __value__(self): # warning: not Python
        if not self._obj:
             self.swapIn()
        return self._obj
    def swapOut(self):
        self._dbref = db.save(self._obj)
        self._obj = None
    def swapIn(self):
        self._obj = db.load(self._dbref)

(In this universe __value__ is not called when another object