How easy is it to create graphical user interface with Python?

Jim Abrams jim at publishingresources.com
Wed Jan 23 10:46:37 EST 2002

tnkjtg at acc.umu.se (Johan Trygg) wrote in news:54d0b644.0201210149.5dd5bd5
@posting.google.com:

> Hi,
> I am a complete beginner to Python, but I have heard many good things
> about it. I am thinking about creating a GUI software that will
> contain some linear algebra, 2D plots (scatter, histogram, line plots)
> and a nice GUI with menus.
> I am currently using Matlab to do this but does anyone have experience
> with Python to create such a software.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon,

I had never before done any GUI programming and decided to take a day and
see what happens. I got wxPython and within a day had a fully functional
GUI app. It was quite amamzing. The Demo that comes with it shows how to
use most of the controls and it was a snap to see how they worked together.

IMO, wxPython was very 'Pythonic'. Things I expected to work, did. A couple
times I just guessed and they turned out right. Tho I don't have an first
hand experience, wxPython claims to be portable to Mac/Linux and easily
converted to C++.

OTOH, the last time I was GUI-amazed was getting a green turtle to cross
the screen in BASIC on an Apple 2c.