Ruby Impressions

Phil Tomson ptkwt at shell1.aracnet.com
Fri Jan 11 03:28:51 EST 2002

In article <_Pu%7.14151$6L1.1882804 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com>,
Don Tuttle <tuttledon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>"IB"
>> I have not look into Ruby, though. I thought it is just Yet Another
>> Programming Language. It would be interesting to see how items 1-7
>> apply to Ruby and see how Ruby does in comparison to Python and Perl.
>> I would appreciate if someone will continue the thread with a follow
>> up on this.
>

>C++ & Java guru Bruce Eckel has done a Python/Ruby compairison. You can read
>it at http://www.mindview.net/Etc/FAQ.html#Ruby

OK, sorry I can't resist (we've discussed Eckel's little missive over at
comp.lang.ruby quite a lot severl months ago)...

Eckel says:

"So far I keep coming to the conclusion that
Ruby is just a bad ripoff of Python"

Now that Python 2.2 has a 'yield' operator (like Ruby had from the start)
and now that Python is trying to unify their type/class system so that you'll
be able to inherit from builtin types (like Ruby has been able to from day
one)... are we to conclude that Python 2.2 is just a bad ripoff of Ruby?

Like I said, I couldn't resist (as he puts his flame proof suit on ;-)

No ill will intended.  It's primarily a case of 'different strokes for
different folks'.

Phil