Confused about PyGreSQL

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jan 14 00:09:28 EST 2002

I think I'm confused about what, exactly, constitutes PyGreSQL.  I'm hoping
someone can clear up my confusion.

What *I* use to access Postgres from Python is in a Python module called
pg.py.  This is basically a thin wrapper around "import _pg", which is
contained in _pgmodule.so.  I believe this is, in fact, what gets built as
part of the standard Postgres 7.x build procedure.  Is this PyGreSQL?

I also find a module called pgdb.py in my site-packages, which claims to
offer a DB-API 2.0 compliant interface to Postgres.  Is this ALSO PyGreSQL?

If BOTH are PyGreSQL, is there any particular reason to prefer one
interface over the other?  pg.py seems like a very thin layer, and as a
result is rather easy to understand.  Am I a dinosaur?
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.