Autocoding project proposal.

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Tue Jan 29 05:13:20 EST 2002

On 28/1/2002 23:49, in article 83it9mghng.fsf at panacea.canonical.org, "Kragen
Sitaker" <kragen at pobox.com> wrote:

> These are problems, but they are not problems AppleScript solves.

The only two sensible things I could get out of Timothy's manifesto was the
idea of GUI programs exposing their internal functionality through an
RPC-like mechanism, and that programming languages have a high entry cost
[which programmers tend to defend strongly, lending to the view that we are
elitist and consider ourselves to be some kind of computer priesthood].

I think AppleScript is an interesting example of an attempt to focus on
these two issues; using AppleEvents as an RPC mechanism for applications,
and trying to use a natural syntax to lower the cost of entry. I don't think
AppleScript has solved these problems, and I didn't get into this thread to
argue for AppleScript, so perhaps I should bow out of it now.

c.l.py isn't really the place for any of this and we seem to have exhausted
this thread's ability to say anything new. In particular, lining up to poke
fun at Mr Rue's English has become boring and slightly unpleasant.

Jonathan