* separated values

Xavier Defrang xavier at perceval.net
Tue Jan 15 11:43:17 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:04:47PM +0000, Robin Munn wrote:
> > This would seem to go against the Python philosophy that Python comes
> > "with batteries included". I say the more we have in the standard
> > library, the better -- as long as there's no duplication within the
> > library, of course.
>
>    This means that Python developers will spend more and more time
> supporting the library instead of working on the language and the
> interpreter. This is wrong course. We, the authors of modules should
> support our modules ourselves.

IMHO, focusing on the core of the language rather than on its standard
library is the best way to turn Python into language lawyer's favorite
playground.  Are people working on the development of Python just for the
language itself or to actually use it?

With the 2.2 release, the Python language should have finally reached
 a good deal of stability in its core features.  And I think it's now high
time to focus on the standard library.  Some old modules would definetly
need some revamping.  Just have a look at this newsgroup and see how many
times people ask for the same module.  Unless a trustworthy module
repository system is set up, the most common modules should be included in
the standard distribution or, preferably, bundled into an official
"extra-battery-pack" available on python.org, alongside the interpreter
and core libraries.  Modules like eGenix tools, XML processing (XSLT),
database connectivity, more application-layer network protocols, and
various file format parsers are all perfect candidates for such a
library...

Xavier