Mono and Python

Don Tuttle tuttledon at mailandnews.com
Thu Jan 3 20:26:15 EST 2002

[Don Tuttle]
> > Finally, many  *nix users of Python my not realize that Python is about
> > become less functional on Windows without the .NET tagged on.  (No
ASP.NET
> > or .NET Web services.)
> >
> > Whatever your religious platform, I'd hope you'd agree that losing
> > functionality in Windows doesn't bode well for ANY language.

[Andrew Kuchling]
> And why should Unix users should care about this, if Python loses
> functionality on a platform they never use?  If Windows people are
> worried about this, they're the one who should actually expend some
> effort on fixing the problem.

If you are in the "DIE WINDOZ DIE" camp you may be tempted to think this
way.  After all if Microsoft is betting the farm on .NET, why do anything
that might remotely advance .NET.  Especially when, by just sitting
passively, doing nothing, you might help Microsoft lose the farm.  But
before you choose that path consider an alternative approach.

A politician (Lincoln?) once said, "I keep my friends close and my enemies
closer!"  For WHATEVER reason, Microsoft has put C# and CLI/CLR into the
public arena.  What better way to keep the enemy close than to study the
plans he's bet his future on!  It's a rare opportunity that shouldn't be
squandered by a religious war.

Microsoft has built it's fortune by selling easy to use "good enough"
software.  Never cutting edge or innovative.  Just good enough to keep the
general public happy.  Their philosophy about quality has amounted to "Ship
first, fix later".

.NET rests on the fact that it needs the Windows OS to run.  The promise of
the Mono project is a .NET on a  Linux box.  Sure it won't have all the
bells and whistles that Microsoft can provide, but it will be "GOOD ENOUGH"
to get the job done!

Microsoft sales strategy for .NET is to bypass the IT dept. and pitch
directly to upper management.  Upper management is always in tune with $$$.
(Some would say it's the only thing their in tune with ;-)  What better way
to counter the pitch then, "Gee, we're already doing that for free!"

And even if the Mono project should go bust, just think what insights you
could glean from Microsoft's $1,000,000,000.00 R&D budget and how they could
then be applied to Parrot.

Don