Python game programming?

Lothar Scholz llothar at mailandnews.de
Sun Jan 6 19:47:38 EST 2002

On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:21:19 GMT, Jordan <hookflash at _hotmail_.com>
wrote:

>I'm interested in doing game development with Python, but I'm beginning to
>wonder about the feasability.  Someone recently posted a real-world example
>of Python being 700x slower than C, which would obviously be bad for games.
>I realize that real-time 3d is probably out of the question, but what about
>a 2d isometric engine like Baldur's Gate or Diablo?  Would it be possible
>to make something like that using PyGame?  If not, which lang should I use
>(I have some experience with C/C++, but I'd have to "refresh" my memory)?
>Would Delphi be a better choice than C/C++ for this sort of thing?  Thanks
>in advance for your time and help.

If you want to write something like Diablo you will be out of luck
with python. Because this needs a good AI component and if you have a
lot of enemies to move this often outperforms the grafik overhead.

And for all real algorithms scripting languages are 10 to 15 times
slower then C/Eiffel implementation. No matter what other persons say.
This is true. Perhaps you can use Python for a prototype but i don't
think that the programming performance is high enough to justify two
seperate implementations. But don't start with a language that is as
low as C.

Another insider language tips for efficient game programming is Lisp,
at least the Franz Lisp version is also as fast as C. This is used by
a lot of Playstation games.