Python 2.2 + Win32All 146 = Python/ASP Failures

Joe Salmeri JoeSalmeri at home.com
Thu Jan 31 18:31:39 EST 2002

I have written a fair amount of Python/ASP code and everything was working
fine until I upgraded from Python 2.1.1 to Python 2.2.  Through
experimentation I have basically eliminated all of my ASP code and can still
reproduce the problem.

I have narrowed the problem down to the following sample ASP file:

*** Begin BROKE.ASP ***
<%@language="Python"%>
<head>
    <title>ASP Testing</title>
</head>
Text goes here
*** End BROKE.ASP ***

My configuration is as follows:

Windows XP Professional (all current patches applied)
IIS 5.0 (comes with XP Professional)
Python 2.2
Win32 All Build 146

When the BROKE.ASP file is requested from the web server the first time it
works as expected.  If you hit refresh or try to request the page in another
Internet Explorer window you get a blank page back.

Now here's the strange part.  If you open up BROKE.ASP in an editor and save
it again (updating the timestamp of the file),
you can now refresh the page in ONE of your IE windows and it will again
work properly.  If you try it in a second IE window that one will fail.
Basically it works one time and then fails until the file is updated.

If you modify the above file and change it from

<%@language="Python"%>  to <%@language="JavaScript"%>

the problem does not occur, so it definitely appears to be related to
Python/ASP engine.

Anybody seen this or have any idea what is going on?????