Ruby Impressions

Garry Hodgson garry at sage.att.com
Tue Jan 15 14:16:33 EST 2002

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think Ruby is good and I would definitely use it
> if Python didn't exist. But Python does exist so...

that was more or less my take on it.  ruby seems to offer pretty much
what python does.  but to be interesting to me, it would have to offer
a lot more than it does, to be worth the effort.  or, it would have to
offer some intriguing twist on how one thinks about programming, like
the FP languages do.

now, i like python's syntax, especially the "indentation thing".  i'd
give that up for a sufficient price (i've been using erlang and ocaml
quite a bit lately.  they're both a bit ugly, but with advantages that
make it worthwhile).

ruby doesn't seem to qualify, in either "significant advantage" or
"brain twisting".  seems like a fine language; i wish it well.
i'm just not interested.

--
Garry Hodgson                   Let my inspiration flow
Senior Hacker                      in token rhyme suggesting rhythm
garry at sage.att.com