Python is just as good as C++ for real apps

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 10:56:49 EST 2002

>Potential for extremely high performance has always been very high
>among C++'s design objectives, even to the detriment of simplicity,
>generality, and other nice concerns.

Yes. Where C can be construed to be a "portable assembly language,"
C++ can be thought of as a "portable assembly language with object
oriented stuff thrown in and generics strapped-on as a later after
thought." C++ might have been a different language than it is today
if Bjarne hadn't had his hands tied by management.

Which reminds me of a small curiosity. I read once that during the
design stage, Bjarne apparently considered making it so that the
statement:

int* p1,p2,p3;

...would evaluate to...

int *p1,*p2,*p3;

I've always thought that this was proper. The compiler treats (int*)
as a type, and so it should behave like one, in my opinion.

C//