Succesfull compile, but bug in Python ?? (was: Re: Distutils prerequisites...)

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Sat Jan 26 20:40:38 EST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:18:36AM +0000, Max M wrote:

| >UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
| >
| >So maybe I am having problems because I am running on a Danish version
| >of Windows 2000 ?

| "C:\python\Python21\lib\distutils\msvccompiler.py at line 220." And
| there was a "path" variable of type list. One of the list items was a
| Danish versions of "c:/Program Files/shared files .... etc." called:
|
| u'C:\\Programmer\\Fælles filer\\Adaptec Shared\\System'
|
| so my guess was that the Danish letter 'æ' was causing the problem.

This is it.

| But the problem with the "ASCII decoding error" I get from
| ""C:\python\Python21\Lib\string.py", line 128" isn't that a bug??

Sort of.  I mean, it is really annoying, but there isn't much the
developers can do about it.

| I mean, it should be possible to use International characters in in a
| pathname and still have Distutils working ... right?

It is possible, but the encoding that you use for your "international"
characters must be known.  You may want output to be in UTF-8, UCS-2,
CP1252, ISO8859-2, or something else.  The hard part is figuring out
which one _you_ want to use.  The only simple thing is to use only
us-ascii since it is single-byte and it is a proper subset of all
other encodings (with the exception of UCS-2 and UCS-4).  If you set
the default encoding to the encoding your system uses I would expect
it to work.

HTH,
-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be