What is the number of the PEP for adding indention to Python?

Quentin Crain nanotech at europa.com
Fri Jan 4 01:12:04 EST 2002

All:

I have been pestering the Ruby folks with my particular topic of interest,
and I thought I would pop over here and try also!

     I am wondering if there is a document explaining/justifying those
     design decisions behind the Python language that are related to
     the developer as a human/person?

For example, enforced indention is a design decision which was *not* made
with the computer or the language's "power" in mind. It was made because of
the philosophy that it would make the code more readable (I assume!
<wink!>). Great! I happen to like it. But, what was the justification for
it? Are there studies that back this up? Research?

To make my post more philosophic, it seems to me a language should be
designed knowing that *people* will be using it. Therefore, learnings,
studies, and research from topics such as linguistics, psychology,
cognitive science, etc ought to be at least considered. Was this done for
Python? If so, is there a document which explains why those design
decisions that relate to the developer as a human were made, along with
citations? If not, why is this always left out, not addressed, ignored?

thanks!! <<q