What does Python fix?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jan 19 14:10:18 EST 2002

"Mike C. Fletcher" wrote:

> It is certainly true that the flouting of the norm is not a sure mark of
> genius, and there are examples of great minds whose greatness is their
> ability to process within the field ...
>
> Coming from a background in design, I (possibly too narrowly) associate
> greatness with the ability to transcend the rules, to establish new
> rules.

You are confusing correlation with causation.  Great minds
flout the norms because they are great minds; they didn't
become great minds because they flouted the norms.

Flouting norms of communication is likely to cause one to be
ignored, budding great mind or not.  And since great minds need
to be recognized by *others* as great minds to be considered great
minds, by definition, being ignored can't help them.

-Peter

(Note the adequate context, and no top-posting.  This posting
took a little work to edit, but then I wanted it to be read,
not skipped.)