A Python IDE idea - looking for input

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 3 17:33:16 EST 2002

"Jeffrey Drake" <jpt.d at rogers.com> wrote ...
> This is no guarantee such a product would be started, just looking for
> input on a potential future product.
>
> The model of the ide would come directly from Visual Basic. This
> includes such things as project manager on the side. The project
> manager would be such that you could do advanced things like in MSVC.

"Advanced things" is a somewhat vague concept. Still, let's include it along
with apple pie and motherhood, two other features that Americans wouldn't
want to be without :-)

> It would support such things as 'Make EXE file' using py2exe, support
> debugging just like vb does - example, put break points on valid
> lines. Have auto list members. Support an immediate window where you
> can put together python statements almost like you can in the
> interpreter now. With exception that it would also allow you to
> perform operations within the scope of the paused program (assuming
> this is possible).

Sounds a bit like PythonWin, BlackAdder, Archeopteryx, wxDesigner,
ActiveState's Mozilla-based product that does Python and Perl, and
PythonWorks. These are some current projects you should be aware of to begin
thinking about development for this market. PythonWin, for example, has some
quite advanced debugging features. Come to think of it, you could do much
worse that hire Mark Hammond (PythonWin's author) to consult on this design.
I seem to remember he has some time available currently.

> Differences from vb would include no form editor (i don't see one
> needed to begin with).

Besides which there's a confusing selection of GUIs to choose from, as
witness the immense debates that occur periodically when a newbie innocently
asks "which GUI should I use".

> The language I would think of using for such a project would be c++
> with wxWindows.

Erm, wouldn't Python be a faster alternative? Once the initial
implementation was complete you could optimise the really slow bits (if
there were any) in C or C++.

> Another feature that might work well is to allow this program to be
> used as an editor for python code like vb allows for msoffice apps
> (and other apps that buy vba).

Except that you'd need apps that "buy" Python to use such a feature.

> Any ideas welcome,

Keep up the thinking, but examine the current landscape. A variety of tools
are available, but at present there's no refactoring browser, for example
(unless PythonWorks now includes it, I only just got round to downloading a
demo copy). Rather than trying to emulate what's been done with other
languages it might be more fruitful to aim at what Python programmers really
need.

Just my two penn'orth. Good luck.

regards
 Steve