large arrays in python (scientific)

phys137 at mailcity.com phys137 at mailcity.com
Tue Jan 8 18:57:38 EST 2002

I second that 'R' comment. For the last couple of weeks I've been routinely
running _very_ funny stuff on datasets with 4 million numbers (some even had
10). R had no problem handling that. [But I have 1 gb mem :-)]

Having said that, I don't think that numpy would have any problem handling
matrices that size - guys at LLLabs who wrote it are probably handling sets
ten times that size daily. (All these solutions seem to be using LINPACK
underneath anyway.) So the underlying accuracy etc problems should be the
same in both cases.

The reason I switched to R for that is plenty of libraries for various
advanced algorithms and nice plots, so you can spot a problem quickly as
well as compare various methods. The other option is SCILAB (very nice), but
R has better set of libraries for statistical and similar data analysis.

news:slrna3le0j.31l.Tae_kyon at localhost.localdomain...