* separated values

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Jan 17 10:31:37 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:57:00AM -0800, Mark McEahern wrote:
> What is at the heart of your concern about bloat?  Diskspace?  Size of
> download package.

   All of this (I pay for traffic, for example, and traffic is expensive
here), and more. Installation time, for example (I am not only programmer -
I am sysadmin, and I install and install Python on different platforms over
and over).

> I like having commonly used stuff

   The problem is in the word "commonly". I seldom pares XML and never need
to crunch numbers. So I don't need Numeric. But I need MySQL and cgi.py.
Another person might need Postgres and Numeric. Yet another one Tkinter,
another PyQT, there are people who even use PyGTK, PIL, cx_Oracle, etc.
   What is that "common" number of packages that you want to include? Those
that you personnaly use?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru