PyAppBar -- bug fix, nifty widget

Keith Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Thu Jan 31 18:08:10 EST 2002

That is behavior you'd expect if you killed an AppBar without giving it a
chance to tell the OS that it's no longer a going concern.  AppBars work by
informing the OS of their existance and what space they want to occupy,
using the OS's response as to what space is actually available to stake
their claim.  When an AppBar closes, it needs to tell the OS that it's no
longer going to occupy space, so that it can be reclaimed.  In the event
this doesn't happen, I've found that docking a new AppBar to the screen will
wake the system up enough to fix the problem (one of the messages to be
handled is "Yes, I'm still an AppBar!").

I've cleaned up the architecture a bit, adding support for page factories,
and put it into a for-real package.  Try
http://www.thuban.org/projects/PyAppBar/wxAppBar.zip, and instead of
sys.exit(0), use the 'exit' command bound into the local namespace.  This
binds to the DoExit() method of the appbar, which performs an UnDock()
before exitting.

Some messages that aren't being dealt with involve Full-Screen App
notifications.  I still need to flesh it out that way, clean up the
internals to my liking, and add doc strings, but it's certainly proven as a
concept.

Keith J. Farmer
kfarmer at thuban.org
http://www.thuban.org