COM error/exception in Python, but not in VB (no dispatch interface available)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 28 21:17:37 EST 2002

"Jason R. Coombs" <jaraconospam at jaraco.com> wrote in ...
> Hi all.  I hope there's someone out there that might know the intricacies
of
> Python and COM enough to help narrow this problem down.  I realize this
post
> is a bit long and perhaps tedious, but I wanted to be sure to communicate
> the problem clearly.  Feel free to skim the technical details first to get
> an overview of the problem.

[technical details snipped]

> I have not been able to successfully use this component with Python, and I
> need to be able to do so.  I've tried passing different parameters; I've
> tried assigning the result to a variable; I've tried passing (0 == 1)
> instead of 0 for the boolean (second) parameter, but this has no effect.
>
> I will pay for technical support, but I need to know where to go.  Is this
> python issue or an issue with their component?  Can I identify for which
> object there is no dispatch interface available?  Can I tell from the
> traceback if it's the return value or a parameter?
>
> Obviously, I've already run make_py on the appropriate object.  Do I maybe
> need to make_py on another interface?  If that's a possibility, how could
> know which one?

Short question which might answer your problem: have you tried running
makepy on the object?

As far as paid technical support goes, the guy who wrote all the COM stuff
is Mark Hammond, and you can reach him at mhammond at my-deja.com -- if Mark
can't solve a COM-related problem then it probably isn't COM-related.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/