Adding static typing to Python

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 18 10:10:07 EST 2002

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote ...
[sceptical remarks about static typing's value]

> Strong typing (in function prototypes) is for control freaks IMHO.  I used
> to be one, but it's just too much work.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far from here, I worked in a Computer Science
department where a new professor, with interests in formal methods, was
appointed. None of his group appeared to realise that in the real world the
real problem was in getting an accurate specification.

They had huge schemes for transforming a formal specification into an
implementation in some programming language, all of which completely ignored
the fact that the average user was totally incapable of expressing
themselves in any language which would transliterate into a formal
specification. They therefore had no adeqaute way of proving the correctness
of the *specification* even if they could guarantee its implementation. Ho,
hum.

Similarly, strong typing is useful when you want to ensure that particular
variables hold a limited range of types. This is s long way away from the
average Python programmers' interest [see sig block], since Pythonistas tend
to delight in the "incidental generality" engendered by the language's
robust polymorphism.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py