distutils/package installers on windows

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Feb 18 19:10:49 EST 2002

"Thomas Heller" <theller at python.net> writes:

> The source code IS available:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/distutils/
> in the misc directory. Guess I'll have to add a note about this
> to the source... There is a tricky symbolic link somewhere on SF
> which links parts of the distutils tree into the Python source tree.

Ah thanks - I saw the "../../misc" reference in bdist_wininst, but
couldn't find it in the main Python CVS source tree (project
python/python) - I didn't notice there was a separate top level
distutils tree (presumably from it's earlier incarnation as standalone
add-on).  Not sure about the symbolic link but it doesn't seem to be
reflected to a sandbox on a cvs checkout or update.

> I'm currently working on an bdist_wininst enhancement which takes an
> additional command line option (--install-script <script.py>).  This
> script would then be run (with sys.argv set to [script_name,
> '--installed']) after all the files have been copied, and it would
> again be run (with sys.argv set to [script_name, '--removed']) just
> before the deinstaller is about to remove all the files and
> directories.

Sounds like just the ticket.  I suppose it could still be a little
tricky to arrange the OPs request of shortcuts unless you could assume
the Win32 extensions would also be present, but still plenty of
flexibility.

--
-- David