Compiling for HPUX and AIX

Michael Piotrowski mxp at dynalabs.de
Tue Feb 26 04:24:05 EST 2002

"czrpb" <nanotech at europa.com> writes:

> That seemed to work, thanks!

Glad to hear that.

> Could I bother you to explain why and more importantly why Python
> itself can not figure this out?

Since we considered using Python for a project, I did repeated tests
on HP-UX during the beta phase of 2.2 and found several portability
problems in configure.  I submitted patches for some of them, and
AFAIK they have been accepted--the behavior on HP-UX had been much
worse.  However, since we eventually decided not to use Python, I
didn't have the time to look at the rest of the problems (they're in
the bug-tracking system on SourceForge).  The problem you hit might be
one of them.

>> I just tried building Python 2.2 on HP-UX and had no problems; here's
>> my build script:

>> #! /usr/bin/sh
>>
>> unset LANG
>> export CCOPTS='+z'
>>
>> make distclean
>>
>> CC=cc ./configure --without-gcc --without-cxx \
>>  --prefix=/opt/python && make

This script is from my tests with the beta versions, so I've forgotten
the details ;-) Basically, from just looking at the script, I see two
possible problems:

a) The configure script *might* only work in the C locale (that's what
   the "unset LANG" is for)
b) The configure script *might* not recognize that you're not using
   gcc without you explicitly telling it (that's what the
   --without-gcc is for)

I would have to look closer to see if one or both of these points are
actually true; at least one of them must be, because otherwise there's
nothing special.  You might want to play a bit with these two options.

Now, I'm not actually using Python, but if you want, we could try to
fix the problem.

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <mxp at dynalabs.de>