ANN: HappyDoc 2.0.1

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 09:48:34 EST 2002

Philip Swartzleonard wrote:

> Hmm.. i can't really remeber what pydoc's html output looked like (it does
> do that, right? :), but I liked happy's a lot better when i compared them,
> and i think it had a better customization framework...

It's quite good, though I can't compare to happydoc's. The problem with pydoc
is that it tries to do a full import of modules and fails more often than I
care. It would also be nice if it showed html-ized (color-coded) source code,
which it doesn't. I'm so used to syntax highlighting that I always end up
opening the files in emacs just to read anything non-trivial.

> Well, pydoc provides internal, interactive help, and happy seems to be
> geared toward producing static documents (of which i think it does a better
> job)... but I don't see any moral reason why happydoc's html output system
> and better introspection (and whatever else it does good) couldn't be
> merged into pydoc. :\

My point exactly. We have two open projects with vast amounts of overlap and
certain individual strengths each. *Exactly* the problem calling for a
judicious integration of the better parts of each, all for Python's eternal
glory :)

Cheers,

f.