Problems with telnetlib

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Feb 16 17:40:20 EST 2002

On 16 Feb 2002 22:15:43 +0100, Jan-Fredrik Braseth <janfbr at sex.ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
>
>[snip]
>
>> # I would change opt to c in the following line
>>                     self.msg('IAC %d not recognized' % ord(opt))
>
>But if there really is something wrong with that, shouldn't someone
>send a bug report or something to the creators of Python?

No, not to the creators of Python per se. This is not a bug
in Python itself. Telnetlib is just a piece of the distribution.

But yes, the telnetlib authors might want to double check this.
In the source it says "Based on RFC 854: TELNET Protocol Specification,
by J. Postel and J. Reynolds," but the latter are the RFC 854 authors,
not (probably) the authors of telnetlib.py, so who is the maintainer?

... Hm, looking at CVS I recognize the loewis name. I will CC this to him
and see if we get a reaction ;-)
(Hi Martin - that was line 424 and opt is not set in that path. See prev post ;-).

Meanwhile you could just make a safekeeping backup copy of telnetlib.py
and then try the change and see what happens, though I'm not making any
warranties ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter