[Python-Dev] PEP 282: A Logging System -- comments please

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Feb 16 07:37:04 EST 2002

Michael McLay wrote:

> Marshal Rose submitted RFC3195[1] to the IETF for a syslog protocol.  The
> specification is defined as a profile on top of the BEEP framework.  The
> format of the messages are encoded in XML. Here is an example of an "entry"
> element.
>
>      C: <entry facility='8' severity='6'
>       C:   hostname='pipeworks'
>       C:   timestamp='Oct 31 23:59:59'
>       C:  ><.....eeeek!</entry>

I really wonder why the timestamp is of such an unstructured format
although the log entry seems to comply to a specific XML schema. Why
the hell don't people simply start using ISO 8601 for date and time?

I also wonder which character set is used or if that's defined by a
XML attribute.

Ciao, Michael.