Readline and unwanted filename completion

Simon Budig simon at ping-pong.budig
Mon Feb 4 11:12:45 EST 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Simon Budig <Simon.Budig at unix-ag.org> writes:
>> In article <3c5b2c1f at si-nic.hrz.uni-siegen.de>, Simon Budig wrote:
>
> [complaint as subject]
>
>> > Well - I looked at the documentation for the readline-module, but that
>> > doesn't say anything about it. Maybe I should read the sources.
>>
>> Ok, did that. Here is the Patch to fix this behaviour. It is against
>> Modules/readline.c from Python 2.1.2.

[patch]

>> I really would appreciate, if this gets incorporated in the regular
>> Python releases.
>
> First, an awkward question: do you know which versions of readline
> support the rl_attempted_completion_over variable?  If it's not been
> present since 2.2, some nasty autoconf hackery may be needed (autoconf
> can join readline and ncurses on that list we were talking about...).

I just downloaded readline-2.2.tar.gz. The documention does not
mention this variable but readline.h has:

/* Non-zero means to suppress normal filename completion after the
   user-specified completion function has been called. */
extern int rl_attempted_completion_over;

I guess, this counts as a "yes" - missing documentation is nothing
unusual...   :-)

>> Unfortunately I don't have an account at sourceforge to submit this
>> the proper way.
>
> Why not?

It is way too much hazzle to maintain *another* account/password to
be able to give three or four bugreports to one or two (admittedly
important) projects.

Ok, you can also say that I am too lazy.   ;-)

Bye,
	Simon

--
      Simon.Budig at unix-ag.org       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/