MySQLdb build on Solaris 7

Asim Beg asim_beg at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:18:15 EST 2002

Jeff Bauer <jbauer at rubic.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1014214245.28703.python-list at python.org>...
> Asim Beg wrote:
> > Here's an excerpt from setup.py
> >
> > elif sys.platform == "sunos5": # Solaris 2.8 + gcc
> >     include_dirs = ['/usr/local/mysql/include']
> >     library_dirs = ['/usr/local/mysql/lib']
> >     libraries = [mysqlclient, "z"]
> >     runtime_library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib']
> >     extra_compile_args = ["-fPIC"]
>
> Looks reasonable.  You've checked that the above directories
> actually have mysql include files and libraries present, right?
>
> Here's mine:
>
>   elif sys.platform == "sunos5": # Solaris 2.8
>       include_dirs = ['/usr/local/include/mysql']
>       library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/mysql']
>       libraries = [mysqlclient, "z"]
>       runtime_library_dirs =
> ['/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib']
>       extra_objects = []
>
> And:
>
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/mysql
>
> Also, in your situation, your administrator may not permit you
> to install files in /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/ --
> though there isn't any real reason she shouldn't -- and it would
> make it more convenient for running cgi scripts.  But assuming
> she doesn't, you'll need those files (in the particular
> relative path structure I mentioned in my earlier post) to
> be present in your importable path, e.g. PYTHONPATH or
> (ugh) manually appended to sys.path.
>
> I have worked with ISP admins whom I was able to convince
> that installation into /site-packages/ was a good thing to
> do for packages such as the MySQL interface; it would not
> compromise security or maintenance and benefit other
> Python users on their system.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Jeff Bauer
> Rubicon Research

Yes both /usr/local/mysql/lib and /usr/local/mysql/include exist and
have 644 permissions. Frankly, I am surprised (shocked...) to find
that an important package such as MySQLdb for python would not compile
on Solaris.....In my many many years of installing software on
solaris/linux I have rarely seen such dumb error messages.....

May be I am clueless and am missing something basic here....I just
can't beleive I am the only one having this kind of a problem.

Asim