Java vs Python Benchmarks: Java is faster

Anders Dahlberg andda715 at student.liu.se
Fri Feb 1 12:49:11 EST 2002

<brueckd at tbye.com> skrev i meddelandet
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Bryan wrote:
>
> > > I'm still not willing to give java the benefit of the doubt yet.
> >
> > Agreed. The test suites are rather limited in nature. I would welcome
the
> > results of a more in-depth analysis. However, the trollish nature of my
> > post and resulting low number of replies leads me to believe no one can
or
> > is willing to really back up any claims to the contrary.
>
> That's why I asked whether or not the JIT was enabled in the tests and, if
> so, if you could re-run them without it. Maybe the low number of replies
> is because it's not suprising that a semi-compiled-to-native program is
> faster?

well, but why would you want to compare interpreted java with python? As
java is not supposed to be *only* interpreteded anymore (it once was in the
cold distant past - like 4-5 years ago) but compiled ("jitted") to native
code during run-time? If you were to compare interpreted java with python
should you then compare interpreted c++ with java (same ballpark)?

just some observations ;)

Would be fun to see comparisons on jython (running on for example jdk1.4)
versus python2.2!

> -Dave

/Anders