ANN: HappyDoc 2.0.1

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 11:36:09 EST 2002

Doug Hellmann wrote:

> Announcing the latest version of HappyDoc, a Python documentation extraction
> tool

An honest, non-trolling question: considering the amount of overlap that
happydoc and pydoc seem to have, and that pydoc is included by default with
python, what are the chances of merging the two?

It seems to make sense to me. Pydoc provides the help() function for the
prompt and the nice 'pydoc -g' server on localhost:7464 (I have no idea if
happydoc offers similar services). But it tends to choke on tricky imports
and produce empty documentation pages way too often for my taste. So maybe
merging the best of the two into something distributed by default would be a
good idea.

I simply think that whatever comes by default with the python distro tends to
get vastly more use/exposure, so the best tool should go there. And since
happydoc seems to address at least one of pydoc's problems (failing imports
in certain cases), it would be in the best open source spirit to produce a
better tool out of the best features of these two, IMHO.

Just a thought...

f.